Trinity United Methodist Church
Tuesday, May 23, 2017
Living as, and leading others to become, Disciples of Jesus Christ

Trinity's History


Before the Civil War, Trinity UMC was known as Mount Zion Church and was part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mount Zion Church was located about one mile from Trinity's present location.
 
During the Civil War, U. S. Army troops demolished the Mount Zion Church building to use its materials for a signal station. (In 1907, Trinity received $1,100 from the federal government as compensation.) The congregation had no church home until the war ended.
 
 
The interior of the sanctuary today

In 1865, after the war's end, the church purchased two and one-half acres of land for $250 at the present site. Construction of a new church building took about three years, with the congregation providing all the labor. All the bricks were handmade on the front lawn. The first building had two stories and could seat 300 people. The upper floor had two rooms. The larger room was used for the first school in the local community. The local Masonic lodge met in the other room. The sanctuary occupied the entire first floor.

The building was destroyed in 1897 by a tornado. During the reconstruction the second floor was eliminated. The handmade bricks were reused; new bricks were purchased in Nashville and transported by mule-wagon to the church. In 1909 another tornado (photo at right) wrecked the church's tower and damaged large sections of the walls. Repairs were made within a few months.  were reused; new bricks were purchased in Nashville and transported by mule-wagon to the church.
 
1909 another tornado (photo at right) wrecked the church's tower and damaged large sections of the walls. Repairs were made within a few months.

The present Sunday School annex was added in 1956. In 1988 additional construction was completed on the Fellowship Hall and education rooms. In 2003 a new, 100-space parking lot was added to the rear of the church, paved and lined, with new sidewalks and wheelchair access.